Linux Mint 20 is a long term support release that will see support till 2025. The operating system features Cinnamon 4.6, a Linux kernel 5.4 and an Ubuntu 20.04 package base. It is based on Ubuntu Focal which was released in April 2020.
A. The reason for using Ulyana are as follows
- Cinnamon has lower memory usage than Unity or Gnome (Ubuntu)
- It has a lighter software manager
- Better NVIDIA Optimus support allowing easier switching between Intel and Nvidia cards
- It looks good and is easily customisable
B. The biggest qualms out-of-the-box are that
- Xapps are awesome but xviewer does not have the rotate/crop function which most basic image viewers already have in place for many years
- There is no background zeitgeist search for Cinnamon like Windows or Gnome
XELLINK 2020-2022 OS Goals
With that in mind, the goal for us in 2020-2022 is to feature the following:
- Alternatives and workarounds for issue B1 (Aug 2020)
- Alternatives and workarounds for issue B2 (Oct2020)
- Feature article for Cinnamon (Nov 2020)
- Tutorial for NVIDIA and AMD cards (Jan 2021)
- Final Feature Video (Mar 2021)
The links above will be update accordingly.
An experienced linux user will always find his way, but that doesn’t mean he should be finding his way when time is better spent doing more productive work. Linux mint provides the bridge that allows users to have an almost out-of-the-box experience.